Loading...
Contacts Information
Name: Steve Powell
Address: , United Kingdom
Website: Link
Date: 14/01/2020
Company:
Tools
Portfolio
Photo: 48
Viewed: 67861
Downloads: 21

Steve Powell

SP_0048.jpg
SP_0048.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941. Note the kill markings on the gun barrel.

SP_0047.jpg
SP_0047.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941. Note the gas holders located at Le Bouet in the background.

SP_0046.jpg
SP_0046.jpg

Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0045.jpg
SP_0045.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0044.jpg
SP_0044.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941. Note the Luftwaffe insignia on the PT shirts.

SP_0043.jpg
SP_0043.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken at Christmas 1941.

SP_0042.jpg
SP_0042.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0041.jpg
SP_0041.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0040.jpg
SP_0040.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0039.jpg
SP_0039.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0038.jpg
SP_0038.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941. Note the Luftwaffe insignia on the PT shirts.

SP_0037.jpg
SP_0037.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0036.jpg
SP_0036.jpg

Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0035.jpg
SP_0035.jpg

The gun crews of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf seen here inside a greenhouse which appears to also be the crews accommodation and rest area. Note the beds on the right and the uniforms hanging up to the left.

SP_0034.jpg
SP_0034.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0033.jpg
SP_0033.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0032.jpg
SP_0032.jpg

The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0031.jpg
SP_0031.jpg

Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941.

SP_0030.jpg
SP_0030.jpg

Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941. Note the trailer for moving the gun in the background.

SP_0029
SP_0029

HMS Bulldog (Destroyer) H 91 off St Peter Port, Guernsey, on Wednesday morning, 9th May, 1945.

SP_0028
SP_0028

Off St Aubin’s Bay, Jersey on Wednesday afternoon, 9th May, 1945. HMS Cosby (Frigate) K 559, LCI(L) 130 carrying the Force 135 'Omelette advance party’, and HMS Beagle (Destroyer) H 30.

SP_0004
SP_0004

Germans stand alongside one of the cannons of Castle Cornet in St Peter Port. The Castle was the 'Hafenschlosss' (harbour Castle) during the occupation of Guernsey by German forces from 1940 until 1945. The occupying forces built air raid shelters and platforms for anti aircraft-guns to update the Castle for 20th century warfare.

SP_0014
SP_0014

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. At the centre of the Underground Hospital complex the link gallery on the right leads off to Ho.40. The unlined central gallery lies behind steel mesh in the centre of the photo with the first ammunition storage chamber of Ho.7 appears on the left.

SP_0013
SP_0013

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. This is one of the brick lined ammunition storage chambers in the Underground Hospital known as Ho.7 with the central link gallery visible. Note the bitumen floor covering of this chambers so that hobnailed boots would not create unwanted sparks.

SP_0012
SP_0012

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. This tunnel known as 'the tunnel under the church’ has some original equipment remaining. Note the base of the Würzburg radar on the left of the brick entrance.

SP_0011
SP_0011

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. Here we see one of the only remaining limbers with a wooden wheel almost fully intact.

SP_0010
SP_0010

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. Here we see a surviving concrete lined chamber within one of the larger tunnel complexes with various limbers and field kitchens still in place today.

SP_0009
SP_0009

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. Shown here is the southern end of the main gallery with a half track body section in the foreground. The tunnel on the left leads to the central entrance of the complex and the right to the storage area where may limbers and field kitchens survive.

SP_0008
SP_0008

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels including this unlined one in Alderney. Here we can see the remaining timber from the collapsed lining mixed with fallen rubble. Several of the small storage chambers of this small complex can be seen on both sides. This highlights the dangers of exploring unlined tunnels.

SP_0007
SP_0007

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. Here we see a 'pit prop’ in an unlined tunnel complex, one of the only standing examples that survive today. The indentations from the sleepers of the 60cm railway track which services the tunnel are also visible.

SP_0006
SP_0006

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. This curious 'rock painting’ inside the central entrance of an unlined tunnel complex reads Täglich kontrollieren, translated as Monitor (or Examine) daily.

SP_0005
SP_0005

During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. This pedestrian tunnel shows the bunk bed frames constructed from angle iron. This is the longest chamber in the complex which contains 54 bunks.

SP_0020
SP_0020

Typical of many albums, be they tourist or occupying forces, a scenic view of the cliffs and rocks of Guernsey’s south coast. Seen here is L’Angle with Tas de Pois d’Aval (Gull Rock) seen right taken c.1941, prior to the building of the tower MP4 and the German coastal artillery battery of Batterie Dollman. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.

SP_0001
SP_0001

Workers construct one of the many direction finding towers on the West coast of Guernsey.

SP_0016
SP_0016

Photographed from the vicinity of the Imperial hotel on 8th June 1941, this view of Rocquaine Bay shows its most obvious feature, Fort Grey. Known to locals as the 'Cup and Saucer’ an interesting feature is the Martello Tower painted white as this was subsequently camouflaged by the Germans. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.

SP_0015
SP_0015

Castle Cornet viewed from the White Rock on 9th April 1941. No German defence works are built yet, though of interest are the antennas surmounting Castle Cornet, the chimneys seen left removed post war and other structures also removed. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.

SP_0027
SP_0027

Inside the command post of Batterie Elefant, Bailiffs Cross Road, St Andrew, Guernsey where plotting information is collated then communicated to the gun positions for aiming and firing. This was situated in close proximity to the 'Paper House’ and the observation tower.

SP_0026
SP_0026

Inside the fire control and observation tower of Batterie Elefant, St Andrew, Guernsey. Here we see the gun control and range-taking staff at work. The tower was adjacent to the 'Paper House’. Note the range board in the background and the camouflage draped over the wooden structure.

SP_0025
SP_0025

This distinctive building was known as the 'Paper House’ and was constructed of lightweight materials resembling paper. The building was situated on a vinery at Bailiffs Cross Road, St Andrew, Guernsey which formed part of Batterie Elefant. The Germans built a fire control and observation tower alongside the building which was draped in camouflage. The 'Paper House’ was demolished in 1978.

SP_0024
SP_0024

The battery commander and the battery sergeant-major of Batterie Elefant inside La Jaoniere, Bailiffs Cross Road, St Andrew, Guernsey. Note the field telephone and the assortment of hand stamps on the table.

SP_0023
SP_0023

Four Germans from Batterie Elefant approach the house known as La Jaoniere at Bailiffs Cross, St Andrew, Guernsey. The house was one of many used by members of the artillery battery during the occupation in the vicinity.

SP_0022
SP_0022

Group photograph showing members of artillery Batterie Elefant which was situated at Bailiffs Cross Road, St Andrew, Guernsey. The photo was taken in the grounds of what is now Les Bourgs Hospice and the building in the background is known as Les Marronniers.

SP_0021
SP_0021

Batterie Elefant situated at Bailiffs Cross Road, St Andrew, Guernsey consisted of three 21cm Morser 18 guns with a range of 16.7km. This was a medium howitzer that had the ability to fire at high angles of elevation. The three guns were mounted on open platforms. Here, the battery commander poses for a photograph alongside one of his guns. Note he is wearing the ribbon of the 1914 Iron Cross, 2nd Class in his second buttonhole, which he won in World War 1.

SP_0019
SP_0019

Photographed on 9th April 1941 and described as Lager Beaucamps, this is the camp used by the Guernsey Militia for many years as a training area. The site is now home to the playing fields of Beaucamps School, though seen here on the northern side of the facility would have been used by the Germans as a similar facility but under 'new management’. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.

SP_0018
SP_0018

This photograph was taken on 18th June 1941. Looking north from alongside the slip way opposite Town Church, this view of the town front St Peter Port shows the absence of motor vehicles. With most locals restricted to horse drawn transport or bicycles, the only vehicle evident is marked with a WH indicating its use by the German Wehrmacht (Armed Forces). This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.

SP_0017
SP_0017

This view of the St Peter Port Town church and Prince Albert statue was photographed on 18th June 1941. Not yet evident are the German road signs painted on the wall of the church and the extensive barbed wire entanglements that were placed around the harbour. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.

SP_0003
SP_0003

Wartime view of the Little Chapel. The miniature chapel was built by Brother Déodat who started work in March 1914. His plan was to create a miniature version of the famous grotto and basilica at Lourdes in France.

SP_0002
SP_0002

Germans take time to visit the Little Chapel. The miniature chapel was built by Brother Déodat who started work in March 1914. His plan was to create a miniature version of the famous grotto and basilica at Lourdes in France.