During the Occupation the German forces excavated numerous tunnels in Guernsey, these were used for various purposes and many still survive today. Shown here is the southern end of the main gallery with a half track body section in the foreground. The tunnel on the left leads to the central entrance of the complex and the right to the storage area where may limbers and field kitchens survive.
Typical of many albums, be they tourist or occupying forces, a scenic view of the cliffs and rocks of Guernsey’s south coast. Seen here is L’Angle with Tas de Pois d’Aval (Gull Rock) seen right taken c.1941, prior to the building of the tower MP4 and the German coastal artillery battery of Batterie Dollman. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.
Photographed from the vicinity of the Imperial hotel on 8th June 1941, this view of Rocquaine Bay shows its most obvious feature, Fort Grey. Known to locals as the 'Cup and Saucer’ an interesting feature is the Martello Tower painted white as this was subsequently camouflaged by the Germans. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.
The arrival of a 22cm gun battery at the White Rock, St Peter Port ready for transportation to the gun site. The guns could be disassembled into several lighter loads to facilitate movement if heavy tractors were unavailable. Note the anti-landing poles on the granite wall to prevent enemy landings.
Inside the fire control and observation tower of Batterie Elefant, St Andrew, Guernsey. Here we see the gun control and range-taking staff at work. The tower was adjacent to the 'Paper House’. Note the range board in the background and the camouflage draped over the wooden structure.
Batterie Elefant situated at Bailiffs Cross Road, St Andrew, Guernsey consisted of three 21cm Morser 18 guns with a range of 16.7km. This was a medium howitzer that had the ability to fire at high angles of elevation. The three guns were mounted on open platforms. Here, the battery commander poses for a photograph alongside one of his guns. Note he is wearing the ribbon of the 1914 Iron Cross, 2nd Class in his second buttonhole, which he won in World War 1.