Germans stand alongside one of the cannons of Castle Cornet in St Peter Port. The Castle was the 'Hafenschlosss' (harbour Castle) during the occupation of Guernsey by German forces from 1940 until 1945. The occupying forces built air raid shelters and platforms for anti aircraft-guns to update the Castle for 20th century warfare.
The floating crane 'Antee’ being manoeuvred in the Old Harbour now better known now as the Albert Marina. This crane was used to offload many of the supplies brought to the island by the Germans including construction supplies and artillery pieces. The pier was fenced off to the public, in the background you can see a number of radio vehicles sited on the Crown Pier.
Photograph of LSI (H) St Helier in 'D-Day’ camouflage carrying Landing Craft Assault and flying her Anti-Aircraft balloon. The reverse has been endorsed, “Passed for transmission through the post but not good for publication.” There are also two signatures, T. McBryde and P. J. Hickson, Surg. Lieut., RNVR, and an oval cachet in red, “Commanding Officer H.M.S. “St Helier” – 8 Feb 1945.” St Helier downed a German Stuka and rescued 10,200 troops at Dunkirk.
The German jetty at Braye Harbour, Alderney in advanced stages of decay. The jetty comprised of two Krupp sections linked to a Dortmunder Union section which in turn was connected to the existing harbour. The jetty was designed for use as an improvised harbour during Operation Sealion. It was finally demolished in 1979.
Group I, First Lift, of the Channel Islands Liberation fleet, codenamed 'agent’, commanded by Rear-Admiral C. G. Stuart, DSO, DSC, (Retd) serving in the rank of Captain, RN, Naval force Commander, Force 135, bound for Guernsey sailed from Plymouth at 15.45 hours on 11th may, 1945, 'W’ Day plus 7, and arrived off St Peter Port at 07.15 hours on Saturday, 12th May.
May 9th 1946. Children of the Billeting Hostel, Hotel de France, under their warden Mrs. H. C. Poat formed a simple but really sincere tableau as they marched along with red white and blue flowing and with each child carrying a placard with “Thank you! Blackley” etc. These grateful boys and girls who spent the war years in England chose a happy way of expressing their gratitude to all the localities and were a notable feature of the procession.
May 9th 1946. Class 16 Equestrians in Costume Tableaux or Groups. The Guernsey Riding and Hunt Club. A member informed a spectator that the horses were living enemy relics of the German Occupation. The spectator made a humorous reply “Good! Teach them manners and naturalise them”.