Jersey Liberation Wednesday 9th May 1945. Once moored alongside the New North Quay crew members of one of the HM Motor minesweepers relax after clearing the approaches to St Helier Harbour. This minesweeper is most probably the FY PT 542 commanded by Lieutenant Idris Edwards, RNVR.
Everyone on the Albert Pier in Jersey wanted their photograph taken with the first Liberators ashore. L to R: Miss Betty Richomme, Miss Haines, St John Ambulance Nurses back row unknown, Mary Martret, Margaret Sewell, Surgeon-Lieutenant Ronald McDonald, Miss Frazer, Sub-Lieutenant David Milln, unknown, Maurice Gautier and Major V. Cooke.
Jersey Bailiff’s pinnace on its way to HMS Beagle anchored in St. Aubin’s Bay, off St. Helier. The Bailiff and the Solicitor General waved their hats repeatedly in acknowledgement as the pinnace headed out of the Harbour, whilst Generalmajor Wulf and his two staff officers stood silently in the stern of the vessel.
Shortly after Liberation the massive task of clearing ammunition began. The majority of the ammunition was loaded aboard LCTs by German POWs and taken to the eastern end of Hurd Deep where the water is some 550 feet deep. This image shows the loading of ammunition at Northside, Vale.
Outside the Alderney headquarters for the Feldkommondantur 515, the German Civilian administration on 1st May 1941. Hans Herzog the Sonderfuehrer for Alderney is seen with members from the Feldkommondantur 515 Guernsey and Jersey, which were based at the Grange Lodge and Victoria College respectively. Also there was second from the left, Oberst Schumacher and fourth from the left peeping through the gap is Dr. Kratzer.