Loading...
Contacts Information
Name: Priaulx Library
Address: ,
Website: Link
Date: 18/01/2020
Company:
Tools
Portfolio
Photo: 376
Viewed: 169582
Downloads: 23

Priaulx Library

TPL_00177
TPL_00177

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00176
TPL_00176

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00175
TPL_00175

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00174
TPL_00174

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00173
TPL_00173

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00172
TPL_00172

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00171
TPL_00171

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00170
TPL_00170

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00169
TPL_00169

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00168
TPL_00168

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00167
TPL_00167

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00166
TPL_00166

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00165
TPL_00165

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00164
TPL_00164

Two soldiers who were killed when clearing their own mines immediately after the occupation are buried in the cemetery near St Peters church in Sark.

TPL_00163
TPL_00163

Mrs Annie Rebenstorff an English born lady who married a German national and had lived in that country prior to WW1. During the Occupation she was renowned for the work she did to aid islanders in Sark, so much so she was know as 'The Mother of Sark'.

TPL_00162
TPL_00162

Funeral service for Royal Navy victims of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne who were buried with full military honours at Le Foulon Cemetery.

TPL_00161
TPL_00161

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00160
TPL_00160

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00159
TPL_00159

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00158
TPL_00158

Post war commemorative service for the loss of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne.

TPL_00157
TPL_00157

Military funeral held in Jersey for RAF Sergeants Dennis Charles Butlin and Abraham Holden which was attended by Bailiff Alexander Coutanche on 6th June 1943.

TPL_00180
TPL_00180

Messrs. Toms and Keates in a moment of relaxation at Candie Gardens outdoor "studio" - the balcony east of the bandstand.

TPL_00179
TPL_00179

The "photo-census" in progress in the summer of 1941 at Candie Gardens, St Peter Port.

TPL_00178
TPL_00178

The "photo-census" in progress in the summer of 1941. Charles Toms is shown photographing a subject, with reference number displayed on an easel.

TPL_00383
TPL_00383

A German SdKfz 6 half-track parked at Glategny Esplanade in St Peter Port, Guernsey.

TPL_00382
TPL_00382

German half-tracks were linked together and used to transport heavy loads such as the guns of Batterie Mirus. Seen here is one of the huge carriages that will eventually mount the 30.5cm gun barrel sitting on a 24 wheeled trailer being towed past the White Rock weighbridge.

TPL_00381
TPL_00381

German half-tracks were linked together and used to transport heavy loads such as the guns of Batterie Mirus. Seen here are at least three vehicles having exited the White Rock turning to ascend St Julians Avenue. Note the damage to the road surface in the forground.

TPL_00380
TPL_00380

Heavy construction equipment was used during the building of the fortifications, this crane with fitted with a grab was used during the excavation process. Photographed at the top of the slipway next to the Albert statue, note the road sign painted at the foot of the wall and the 'Antee’ floating crane seen in the background.

TPL_00378
TPL_00378

German road sign at Forest Road which makes the junction near La Villette in St Martins. The Germans listed the local roads by colour and number, here we see red route 6 leading on to routes 7 and 9. This junction also leads from yellow 8 to yellow 5. The small sign reading Flugplatz is indicating the direction to the airfield.

TPL_00328
TPL_00328

A Guernsey police officer and German chauffeur stand by the Commandants car while he pays a visit to the Little Chapel at Les Vauxbelets, Guernsey.

TPL_00327
TPL_00327

A jeep crosses La Coupee, the narrow neck of land which connects Sark with Little Sark.

TPL_00326
TPL_00326

French Char bis B1 tanks used by the Germans awaiting shipment from Millbrook, Jersey to France 29th May 1945.

TPL_00322
TPL_00322

As the military buildup increased, so did the number of road signs directing German forces to them. Many roads were thoroughly signposted like this example at the bottom of St Julian's Avenue, Guernsey. Note the Guernsey Press Censor in his car.

TPL_00325
TPL_00325

The Germans commandeered all but a very few private cars on the island. These were taken to the Albert Pier to await shipment to France.

TPL_00324
TPL_00324

Horse-drawn van used by Lovell & Co Ltd in Guernsey to move furniture.

TPL_00323
TPL_00323

This cut down furniture van was transformed into a very efficient ambulance which ran on charcoal gas and was ready for service by September 1942.

TPL_00376
TPL_00376

A crowd has gathered at the Weighbridge, Guernsey to see the Red Cross ship SS Vega which has docked at the Cambridge Berth, St Peter Port with much needed supplies for the islands population. Note the German century box and the heavily protected fencing around the harbour.

TPL_00375
TPL_00375

Red Cross parcels being distributed at Le Riches, St Peter Port, Guernsey. They provided a lifeline for the civilian population as everyone was on starvation rations by the winter of 1944 with the first consignment arriving just after Christmas that year.

TPL_00317
TPL_00317

SS Vega in the harbour of St Helier on 3rd January 1945.

TPL_00316
TPL_00316

Food from the SS Vega being unloaded by Germans from railway wagons whilst supervised by the St John's Ambulance in St Peter Port.

TPL_00315
TPL_00315

Food from the SS Vega being unloaded by Germans from railway wagons whilst supervised by the St John's Ambulance in St Peter Port.

TPL_00314
TPL_00314

Crates of Red Cross parcels arrive at the docks in Guernsey before being transported by train to a secure store.

TPL_00312
TPL_00312

The arrival of the Swedish ship SS Vega chartered by the International Red Cross to bring food and supplies to the starving islanders did much to alleviate the suffering of the civilians. Here Red Cross parcels were distributed to the islanders at Les Riches, St Peter Port.

TPL_00311
TPL_00311

Cordite being burnt on the beach in Guernsey 1945, the photographer could feel the heat from over 400 feet away.

TPL_00310
TPL_00310

Cordite being burnt on the beach in Guernsey 1945, the photographer could feel the heat from over 400 feet away.

TPL_00370
TPL_00370

A French Char B1-bis tank in one of the German chambers of the tunnel now converted into the Aquarium. These were captured tanks brought to the islands by the Germans as part of Panzer unit 216. The tank was photographed prior to its removal in 1952.

TPL_00367
TPL_00367

The Germans installed a railway network to move food and materials around the island, these were used extensively during the construction of the fortifications. This derelict locomotive lies in St Sampson along Bulwer Avenue prior to being scrapped.

TPL_00366
TPL_00366

The Germans installed a railway network to move food and materials around the island, these were used extensively during the construction of the fortifications. This derelict locomotive lies in St Sampson along Bulwer Avenue with various rolling stock prior to being scrapped.

TPL_00365
TPL_00365

An armoured steel turret at Fort Doyle during the post war scrap metal drive, workers used gas axes and thermal lances to cut through the enormous steel sections.

TPL_00364
TPL_00364

An ex-RAF Coles mobile crane lifts a depth charge found at Batterie Mirus by workers of John Upham during the scrap metal drive of the early 1950’s. The charge was originally thought to be a large grease drum used in the operation of the gun, camouflaging its true lethal purpose.