Heavy construction equipment was used during the building of the fortifications, this crane with fitted with a grab was used during the excavation process. Photographed at the top of the slipway next to the Albert statue, note the road sign painted at the foot of the wall and the 'Antee’ floating crane seen in the background.
German road sign at Forest Road which makes the junction near La Villette in St Martins. The Germans listed the local roads by colour and number, here we see red route 6 leading on to routes 7 and 9. This junction also leads from yellow 8 to yellow 5. The small sign reading Flugplatz is indicating the direction to the airfield.
An ex-RAF Coles mobile crane lifts a depth charge found at Batterie Mirus by workers of John Upham during the scrap metal drive of the early 1950’s. The charge was originally thought to be a large grease drum used in the operation of the gun, camouflaging its true lethal purpose.
A German stands in front of the Victor Hugo statue in Candie Gardens, Guernsey. The 9,800kg limestone statue was made in 1913 by French sculptor Jean Boucher. It was transported from Paris to Cherbourg and then to Guernsey by steamboat before it was officially unveiled on 7 July 1914.
Britain’s first commando and one of Guernsey’s most respected war heroes, Lieutenant Hubert F. Nicolle, twice landed in German occupied Guernsey on spying missions. He spent his twenty-first birthday in solitary confinement, in the notorious Cherche Midi Prison located near Paris, under sentence of death by firing squad.