Everyone on the Albert Pier in Jersey wanted their photograph taken with the first Liberators ashore. L to R: Miss Betty Richomme, Miss Haines, St John Ambulance Nurses back row unknown, Mary Martret, Margaret Sewell, Surgeon-Lieutenant Ronald McDonald, Miss Frazer, Sub-Lieutenant David Milln, unknown, Maurice Gautier and Major V. Cooke.
As the craft carrying the German Island Commander and the Bailiff of Jersey reached the head of Elizabeth Castle breakwater it was passed by the launch from HMS Beagle inward bound. As the launch passed through the pierheads the crowd could see that the men on board were wearing Royal Navy uniforms, and they let out loud cheers of welcome.
View looking across St. Aubin’s bay, Jersey from St. Helier Harbour. HMS Beagle can be seen at anchor behind Elizabeth Castle breakwater. One of the two square bunkers housing the firing points for the electrically detonated mines laid in the approaches to the harbour can be seen at the root of the castle breakwater.
The gun crew of Flak Batterie Kapellendorf located off Les Grandes Capelles in St Sampson. This battery of four 8.8cm Flak 18 guns which were used in an anti-aircraft role. This sequence of photographs were taken in December 1941. Note the Luftwaffe insignia on the PT shirts.
Two years after Liberation on 23rd May 1947 Guernsey had a special visit from Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery (Monty). During his visit he met with many dignitaries including those from Elizabeth College, St John Ambulance, Sea Scouts and many others. His tour was welcomed by all with the streets of Guernsey lined with locals wanting to catch a glimpse of Monty. His famous vehicle known as Old Faithful carried him around the island and included a stop at the grounds of Beau Sejour.